Former San Dimas parks director seeks $900,000 in claim against city.
A former San Dimas department chief has filed a claim against the city seeking $900,000 in damages, saying he was improperly placed on administrative leave and remains in the dark about what led to his removal from office.
In his claim, filed Jan. 28, former Parks and Recreation Department director Hector Kistemann asserts that then-interim City Manager Brad McKinney notified Kistemann on Oct. 14, 2020, that he would be removed from his role and “forcibly” escorted him from City Hall. Since then, according to the claim, Kistemann has been given no reasoning for his removal.
“Because the city will not tell him the reasons why he was placed on leave, he cannot defend himself of any allegations that may have arisen, which led to his leave,” the claim reads in part.
Kistemann, 50, submitted a letter of resignation on Tuesday, Feb. 9, according to his spokesperson, Tamrin Olden.
“Hector resigned from his position due to the method and manner that (the city has) conducted this investigation and not being given his due process,” Olden said Wednesday.
City officials have not confirmed an investigation involving Kistemann.
But according to the claim, McKinney, Mayor Emmett Badar and members of the City Council failed “to promptly address accusations or rumors” surrounding Kistemann’s removal, causing him humiliation, anxiety, stress and additional medical issues.
Though the city has made no public allegations, Kistemann said in his claim he believes he has been accused of misconduct. Any allegations “financial impropriety” are false, according to the claim.
In an emailed response Tuesday, San Dimas City Manager Chris Constantin provided no information on Kistemann’s removal. Constantin, who began working at the city in January, said the “claims and personnel process are not complete” and noted the city won’t release more information on the matter until those processes are finished.
Badar declined to comment and referred all inquiries to Constatin. McKinney had not responded for comment as of Thursday.
Kistemann is represented by attorney Ronald T. Vera, who declined to comment.
Should the city deny Kistemann’s claim, he would have six months to file a lawsuit against San Dimas, according to City Attorney Jeff Malawy.